Tuesday, July 13, 2010

The Community Service Movement Has Arrived

Numerous scholars, including Russell Dalton and Cliff Zukin et al., have argued that the Millennial generation, born after 1976, is exceptionally service-oriented (though perhaps not especially politically minded). The New York Times offers anecdotal evidence: Teach for America, which places college grads into under-served schools, is vying with elite graduate schools for top talent.

Teach for America, which arose out of Princeton student Wendy Kopp's senior thesis in the late 1980s, has become a core component of the national AmeriCorps service program. At several universities, including my home institution, AmeriCorps was the top hiring institution this year.

The Times notes that "Teach for America has become an elite brand that will help build a résumé," suggesting that the community-service movement, which began in the late 1980s, has truly arrived.

1 comment:

  1. For the greater good... Any advice for those that want to make a difference AND know that is what they want to do. I have always known what I want to do and taken the road not taken to achieve it no matter the obstacle. I love to take on challenges and let my actions reflect my motivation and what I strive to be. And now I am faced with the unusual dilemma of knowing exactly what I want to do and why.... But do not know how or where I best match up in the public interest/civil service sector. Any and all help/direction would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete